dmmannin
I began reading a book called Are Men Necessary? by Maureen Dowd and it has really...made me angry. The book itself is amazing, as it's simply observations by Miss Dowd as to how the Gender War has not been at cease-fire since the '50s.

She brings up points on a woman's IQ and how her chances of getting married decrease by 40% with each 16 point increase because "men think that women with important jobs [and high IQs] are more likely to cheat on them". Most love stories and movies depict men who fall for the women in lower positions than they are, such as secretaries and maids.

I'm frustrated right now. I'm at a point in my life where my future is being mapped, and I now notice that if I become an independent an successful woman, my chances with men are slim. Honestly, if I have to be a blonde bimbo to have a male partner (extra emphasis on the 'partner'), an equal, then I'd rather be alone. I have goals. Those goals do include a husband and children, but my life is first, and I don't plan to immediately put myself second or short-change myself in order to secure a man.

Needless to say, this book is already beginning to shape my outlook. It will only get worse, that I can promise.
1 Response
  1. IQ is a flawed measure of status and intelligence anyway, but the idea remains the same nonetheless, I suppose.
    My answer to why men are like this: We are consituted by two of Dante's deadly sins: Pride and Lust, both of which clearly factor into this tendancy of men to pck "inferior" women.
    Truly it is a shame. However allow me to ask you this: Regardle3ss of gender, I am willing to bet you that there is statistical evidence to prove that marriage and whatnot is actually less common among all people of hgiher IQ. At what level this is significant, I cannot say, and it may be beneficial to look into it, but it's nonetheless an intriguing notion.